Being Present

What does it mean to be present?

For me what comes to mind is living in the moment. We're blessed to be living in New York City but city life can be very fast paced. 


Over the last few months I've become far more invested than before. Probably due to the pandemic bringing life to a halt. I've noticed more things than before as life has slowed down, but mostly because there were less distractions and less things that kept me busy to not enjoy every moment. 


In a city like New York it's easy to live for the next best thing and always thinking about the future, because that's what most people do or talk about. As a lot of people seem to come here to find their "dream". 


Thus, it may appear that you don't become fully invested emotionally or psychologically because life's so fast paced here and transient. But being rooted here has been helping me to be mindful and present in more meaningful ways. 


Being present means to give fully of your time and attention to something or someone. And as Matt 6:33 says not being concerned about tomorrow might just be the key to learn to be present in the moment. It's easier said than done to not be concerned about tomorrow, but I have found that as I think about tomorrow I might miss out and lose what's happening in or around me today. 


Wherever you may find yourself today, my prayer is that you stop and be thankful for being alive in this moment and fully invest yourself in it.


Enjoy today because after this last year we can see that tomorrow is not a guarantee to anyone. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts